alphabet blocks spelling speech-language therapy

A speech-language pathologist (SLP) must have 1) a master's degree in SLP, 2) pass a national examination in SLP, and 3) complete a 9-month of post-graduate clinical fellowship in SLP. In California, SLPs must also have a state license. Consumers can verify an SLP's state license by visiting the website of the Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Board (


An SLP must be knowledgeable about and competent to provide services in the following areas:

  • Articulation (the production of speech sounds)
  • Fluency (stuttering)
  • Voice
  • Receptive (understanding) and expressive (producing) language
  • Hearing
  • Swallowing
  • Cognitive aspects of communication (i.e., attention, memory, sequencing, problem-solving, executive functioning)
  • Social aspects of communication (i.e., challenging behavior, ineffective social skills, lack of communication opportunities)
  • Communicating in different modalities (speaking, writing, sign language, augmentative and alternative communication systems, and  assistive technologies)

These standards are set by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).


Frequently Asked Questions:

  1. What is speech-language pathology?
  2. When should I seek help from a speech-language pathologist?
  3. How can I find a speech-language pathologist?
  4. What can I expect when working with a speech-language pathologist?
  5. What kind of funding support is available for speech-language pathology services?
  6. What speech-language pathology resources are available in the Bay Area?


Image from


              Español/Spanish                            中文/Chinese