a magnifying glass searching for people

Finding a Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP)

The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Proserv Database allows you to search for an SLP who holds an ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) by 1) location, 2) the age group(s) they serve, and 3) the languages they speak.

Finding an SLP in California who Speaks Your Language

The California Speech-Language Hearing Association (CSHA) maintains a database of SLPs and audiologists by the languages they speak.

Regional Centers

In California, children under 3 years of can qualify to receive speech-language assessments and therapies through the Regional Center system. The Regional Centers serve individuals with developmental disabilities and their families by providing early intervention services to infants between birth and three years of age who are developmentally delayed or believed to be at high risk of having a developmental disability.

The Regional Center serving San Francisco is the Golden Gate Regional Center. For information about other Regional Centers, visit the California Department of Developmental Services.

School Districts

If your child is over 3-year-old, you can request an assessment from your local school district to see if he/she qualifies for speech-language and other special education services. In San Francisco, this is the San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD). For a guide to the referral process in the SFUSD, please see the Parent Guide to Special Education.

There are many wonderful resources in the Bay Area to assist you with the referral process.

  • The Community Alliance for Special Education (CASE) also provides legal support, representation, technical assistance consultations, and training to parents throughout the San Francisco Bay Area whose children need appropriate special education services.



Image: ddpavumba / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


                Español/Spanish                      中文/Chinese